There are lots to do for families on Nevis and the island is such a family friendly place that children are welcome wherever you go.
Half of Nevis Island has the Caribbean sea and other half has an Atlantic coast so make sure you select your swimming beach carefully. Great beaches for swimming and water sports are Pinney beach less than 5 minutes drive from the capital Charles Town and Ouailie beach that has water sports with stunning views across to St Kitts.
Activities include horse riding, sailing, hiking, cycling, quad bike tours, jeep tours, scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming and other water-sports.
A must see for families is the authentic Nevisian home farm and inn – Lindbergh Landing named after Charles Lindbergh’s Trans-Atlantic flight of 1927. The land Lindbergh Landing is on was purchased by Ernest Hasting Hanley in 1929, who was the first Nevisian born laborer to earn Certificates of Title to land on the Hamilton Estate. The resort, now run by his son Spencer and wife Jacqueline, consists of Nevisian cottages are nestled in lush rainforest 1,200 feet above sea level with breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea. Children can watch Green Vervet monkeys at play in mango trees and meet a plethora of farm animals including a pair of colourful peacocks.
Restaurants that are kiddie friendly include –
- The Yachtsman bar & grill is located right on Paradise beach so perfect for spending a leisurely lunch there as kids can play on the beach while you watch them with a cool drink in hand.
- Chrishi beach club is another good one for families as again it is situated with tables right onto the beach. This small beach also has volleyball nets and with a large grassy area off the beach too it’s perfect for ball games.
The best historic plantation inns for families include –
- Montpelier for the pool and bar/restaurant area for lunch is lovely for children. If it’s good enough for Princes William & Harry then it’s good enough for yours!
- Hermitage has a pizza evening every Friday that’s family friendly even the owners bring their children along to join in with playing with the other children in the beautiful lawn and gardens.
- Nisbet plantation has a bar/restaurant right on Nisbet beach which is a lovely sandy cove perfect for a game of beach cricket but as the sea is the Atlantic the currents are far too strong for swimming. Paddling would be perfect and the beach great for picnics especially when you can watch the brown pelicans diving in the shallows for fish.